Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Three Bears -- Too Bright, Too White, Just Right!!


I wasn't crazy about this fabric but it resulted in decent hexagons.  There were only 36 as I cut them very large (5 inch triangles), so I decided to make 3 relatively small quilts of 12 blocks each.  I would try different settings.  This is the total of the blocks crowded on my design wall.


This was the first setting which used my college colors but which I wasn't crazy about in the end.  The yellow is super bright as is the blue.  I think using a dark binding will pull it together though.


This was the second attempt where I concentrated the yellow on the sides.  I will have to do a lot of quilting in that big white area.  This one was improvement I thought.



 .And I thought this one was just right.  The yellow was broken up and surrounds the outside.  Each of these quilts is about 43 x 45 which is a decent size.



These are the hexagons I am working on now.  Picture isn't too good as it was from my phone.  These will result in two moderate size quilts.  I am using the back of the bright yellow fabric above in these as it is a nice toned down version!!  I have been using the backs of fabrics quite a bit in this collection of quilts I have made this summer.  I looked at my Pinterest page of my quilts and counted 40 tops!  All but about 5 were done in the last couple of months!  Now to get down to basting....quilting.

I will be heading down to my basement stash to find some of the wider fabrics I  bought years ago (58 inch wide cottons) which are perfect for backs for a lot of these quilts.  

No comments: