Monday, August 19, 2019

Another Spin Block Quilt!

Well, the first one is done and by the time this post is published, there were probably several more!!  The blocks in this one are only 9 1/2 inches instead of the 10 they were supposed to be so I had to make a bunch more of the random type to go with the 5 blocks I had done in the proper size of 10 inches.  

Thought I would add this picture as a clue as to how to do these blocks.  This is the pile of pieces with the longest stripe to the left.  Right sides together you line it up with the top of the square and sew down only about 1 1/2 inches for that first piece.  Then turn clockwise and attach the second piece in exactly the same way except sew to the end of the piece.  It won't match -- the end will just reach  over into the final strip by about 1/4 inch or so.  Continue to do for the next two pieces.  It will then be very obvious how you finish it up -- trust me!!  Just finish up that last seam and press everything nice and flat. I luckily have a 10 1/2 inch ruler so I just position that and trim off the excess on all four sides.  Sometimes the edges don't quite meet that 10 1/2 mark but usually only a smidge off and then you just fudge that seam when sewing on the sashing a little bit!

I added my 8 new blocks to the ones I had already done in the 10 1/2 inch size. This isn't the final arrangement as I always discover something I want to change after viewing the pictures!!

I should mention that that sewing the four strip sets with the 2 inch strips together, cutting the rectangles and sewing the blocks as well as cutting all the sashing and cornerstones took less than 2 hours.  I had all the 2 inch strips already cut but had not made any decisions about which ones I would use so part of the time was pulling out strips and making sure they were 44 inches wide or that I had 2 22 inch ones the same.

The sashing is all cut and is light like it looks like in this audition photo of the cornerstones which are leftover blue from the previous quilt.

Not sure what I will do next with the strips.  I get bored easily but these are soooo easy to make.  I am anxious to try out black and white with a touch of color and also one with autumn colors.  The two I have done are literally almost completely unplanned although in the later blocks I tried to put darks on the outsides of the strip sets.  If you look closely, you can see the four I did before as they have different stripes around the center.


No comments: