Friday, August 16, 2019

Spin Block Update!

For anyone who is on Facebook's Scrap Quilter Enthusiasts, this will be very very familiar!!  I showed some original blocks I made a couple of posts ago.  I intended to just add to that bunch with some more random blocks  These are slightly different as I still cut four rectangles from a 6 1/2 wide strip but combined them differently so that they spun the same color around the middle.  There are basically 6 strips represented here, 2 blocks from each strip but they look entirely different and its fun to try to match the ones from the same strip.  I still have the orginal five blocks I made as I mistakenly cut these blocks down to 1/2 inch smaller so will now have to made 7 more blocks to go with those first five.  This arrangement above was testing out sashing.  I had originally planned on the off white sashing but saw someone had done the darker sashing effectively.  This would have been the perfect color if I hadn't cut all the strips the wrong size -- again too small!!

Well, I just grabbed the first pieces randomly from my 2 1/2 inch strip bag and started sewing (without auditioning).  I was not particularly happy when I put it up on my wall...  It's okay but a little flashy.  Next to find fabric for the borders as of course, I didn't have enough of the sashing fabric!!

This was my first guess as it is a sister fabric to the sashing but I felt it was too light.

I finally decided 
on this darker blue and decided on no white keystones in the corners  It is okay and all finished now so onward to the next one!

A nice person on the Scrap Enthusiast list posted this suggestion for cutting the rectangles.  I had another teacher some time ago who used this template technique with rulers so I immediately did it myself!  I used template plastic and double stick tape on the back of my 6 inch by 12 inch ruler where it will stay permanently!  This teacher also had use put double stick tape on the back o rulers to make sure they didn't shift while we were cutting -- works great although you do have to periodically add tape.  (By the way, I didn't do the "hole" thing as in the original Mooney pattern directions -- just measure approximately 1 1/2 inch from each side of the rectangle and made sure I was on the 45 degree line.)

l will definitely being making more of these blocks but a little more controlled after I finish the next one  I am thinking black and white with some color for one and autumn colors for another.

I have completed cutting strips from all my rainbow colored fabrics and now am working on brown. Then onward to black and white and then I will call it quits for "stripping".  I had far more brown than I ever imagined!!  I did weed some out and put them in the yellow, orange and red bags as they tended more in that direction.

No comments: