Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Lovely Lunch at Marcia's and GVQC's November Meeting

After arriving back in Rochester Tuesday night after a long drive from the beach house, I was far too late to participate in Priscilla's Koos jacket sew-in. I had seen the beginnings of her jacket on previous occasions and wanted to get a look at what the ladies were doing so I headed down for lunch with the crowd.
This is Donna Patrick modeling her purple jacket for us. It was from an earlier class with Priscilla and I loved what she did with the lining!

This is the back and sleeves from Priscilla's jacket. The bias binding around the shapes really has a nice look to it.







This is the front of Priscilla's jacket with her famous catchwords emblazoned in fabric on her design wall. She likes to let people know where her responsibilities begin and end!






This is the back of Pat Berardi's version of the Koos jacket and is equally stunning!







This is the front of Pat's jacket.

Today we had our monthly GVQC meeting and it was one of those Murphy's Law kind of days. I didn't have much time to get my computer stuff together for the meeting and was planning on printing everything this morning. Needless to say, nothing cooperated -- computers (2), printers (3) and software incompatibility made the job daunting. It is always non-stop questions when you get there so it was nice when the meeting actually begins!! Janet Root was our guest speaker today and she was delightful as I knew she would be (she was the one who introduced me to the club to begin with). It was nice to see so many of her quilts in one place.
I only took a few pictures today as I didn't get a chance to get to the back of the room before the crowds descended at lunch time but did get a few. The star quilt above is a stunning quilt made by Lisa Feor which was based on the mathmatical formula for shapes and proportions found in nature. It was made for one of her daughter's who is getting an MBA from the Simon School here in Rochester but who has two degrees in math as well. What a fitting subject and it was beautifully executed.


This was a quilt done by our own Judy Laurini who is known for her exquisite handwork. I am such a sucker for these radial symmetry quilts and I think Judy has caught the bug!


This is another quilt demonstrating radial symmetry only this used just four triangles while the above one is hexagon based (my favorite one patch)

No comments: