Friday, October 14, 2011

Arthur Newman, Golf Pro....

The title above is the name of the movie that Colin Firth (The King's Speech), Emily Blunt (Young Victoria) and Anne Heche (Men In Trees) are filming in and about Wilmington NC.  They are supposed to be around the area filming for the next month.  Unfortunately, I missed my very best opportunity to see Colin Firth in person yesterday.  He was in the water down at Ft. Fisher which is about a mile down the road from my house and where I had seen an HBO series being filmed about a month ago.    


Last night I knew (from the local newspaper) that they would be filming down the road in the other direction right next to Carolina Beach Lake where I go almost every day for a walk (when not at Ft. Fisher and my secret beach).  They were supposed to film from 8 pm to 5 am and had the main road closed for about four blocks.  They were doing a chase scene (with Emily Blunt and not Colin Firth - darn).  I took several shots of the setting up.  Considering I didn't use a flash and it was dark out, they aren't too bad.  When they were actually rehearsing and shooting scenes, we all had to back up quite a way down the street.  Before then, we were right there watching them set up cameras and lights.




The guy with the khaki pants and shirt is obviously a VIP as he was dishing out orders and I saw him in the newspaper pictures from the Ft. Fisher shoot.  It was fun to hang out for a couple of hours with the other locals and watch what was going on.  I stayed until 10 and watched the rehearsal of the "chase" scene with all the phony police cars.  They are filming again tonight so don't know whether I will go down again or not.  So far I haven't seen a picture of Colin Firth in the local newspapers either!






Couldn't resist taking a picture of this tree stump covered with mushrooms.  It always surprises me to see such a profusion down here as there is so much sunshine and I always think of mushrooms  in dank moist places (it is moist!).  This was at Carolina Beach Lake park.


This is a picture of the lake at night.

2 comments:

Silverqueen said...

Beth we fans of Colin Firth are counting on you to get some pictures of him while he is in your neighborhood. As a fellow quilter and grandmother we have to help each other whenever we can. So go get him Beth.

Beth Brandkamp said...

Boy, I am sure trying but he is pretty elusive!! Somehow I don't think my husband wants me trolling the streets of Wilmington for the next month but I will try!!! I can't believe he was just down the street from me and I didn't know!!!!!!Arghh