Sunday, October 2, 2011

White Crested Duck - Huh?

Yes, it actually is a different kind of domestic duck although this one was in the wild.  I had seen him the other day but thought it was an immature white (or Pekin) duck but seems it is a separate duck originally bred in Great Britain or Holland but found with different breeders here in the US.  So ta da, the White Crested Duck!  You will note one of the interbreeds behind him -- a white and brown colored duck.  All of the domestic ducks originated from the common mallard so  you see them together often and they interbreed frequently.

Over in one of the swampy areas at Carolina Beach Lake, a Great Egret was feasting on dragonflies I suspect as well as some small fish.

If  you look closely, you can see the lump in his neck, which is some recently swallowed critter -- pretty good sized.

This is the first time I have seen the fountains up and running at Carolina Beach Lake.  It was a gorgeous day and very very comfortable for walking.  While I was there, I checked out the two motels where Colin Firth will supposedly be filming (I hope) in a couple of weeks -- an easy walk from the lake.

No comments: