Thursday, April 10, 2008

April Meeting of Genesee Valley Quilt Club

We had a wonderful speaker today at quilt club and one of my fellow club members was more than willing to give up her spot in the Saturday class (she thought she had signed up for the Friday class) so I signed up just to see more of this marvelous artist. Her name is Lura Schwartz Smith and she had one of her quilts in the 100 top quilts of the 20th century. I know you would recognize it -- it looked like a Degas. She is teaching classes on working with inks and drawing so even though I am not particularly interested, I thought I would give it a try as Diane was not happy about not being able to attend on a Saturday. I also signed up for an origami class next Friday taught by one of the quilt club members and I am looking forward to that as well.



This was I believe Carol Spreter's beautiful quilt. She said she was in a "finishing up" mode as well.


This is again the Christmas stack and whack all bound and hung at show and tell. Now what to do with it!


This is the other stack and whack that is all finished. I used some of the hand dyed fabric Marcia and I had dyed the week before for the binding -- it was perfect as the colors in this quilt were really odd and there was nothing like them in any of the shops -- it was almost impossible to find the border fabrics a couple of years ago even.




I loved this quilt by Pat Berardi where she incorporated pictures on fabric as well as fabric she bought on her cruise/tour of Alaska (a couple of months before we took ours!).



These were several projects done by one Genesee Valley quilter from the class she took with Anne Lullo the month before. I love what she did with the bag that the local Wegmans is using for groceries!



Well, here is my one and only Las Vegas picture!! It is a picture taken of me standing in front of the Bell helicopter that I took out over the Grand Canyon. I was the only American on the helicopter -- even the pilot was French Canadian! All the rest were Canadians, some of whom didn't speak much English. It was a wonderful experience and I wish I had all the photos I took on the ride which was very cool.

No comments: