Friday, December 2, 2011

An Ode to My Sewing Machine...

No poetry from me but glances at the latest two quilts that I have machine quilted on my new Juki which I love. I can't remember which book this quilt came from but it is just two different values of 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles.
You can see the stitching here which was just loopy-loops as it was bright and cheerful.  It has a great fish print on the back in blues and oranges like the front.  You can also see the block here which is the two light colored rectangles in the middle, then blue rectangles added at either end and then two sets of dark and light rectangles are sewn together and attached at the sides.  Each square has 8 rectangles.


This is the last of the one block wonders that I did using an absolutely hideous print.  I am not sure this final product is a lot better and is my least favorite of the three I have quilted down here.  I just did overall stipple quilting with light colored thread.  The back is red as is the binding.  Guess it will be a Christmas quilt.


This is the final iteration of the Colin block.  I have found I have enough fabric (whew) down here to do a variation of the quilt that  I accidentally created when doing the collage of progress several blogs ago! It will be called (I think) Deconstructing Colin.  This is the block with Colin Firth's  autograph.


And this is the Juki TL-2010Q which I have used exclusively to do the machine quilting on the 9 quilts I brought down here with me.  It has an intelligent needle down (goes up when you use the automatic thread cutter -- banging the foot petal) and stays down the rest of the time (although you can adjust it up if  you want).  It also has the knee lift like the Bernina.  The tension is perfect for both machine quilting and for putting on binding.  The only thing I haven't succeeded at is the automatic threader which I haven't successfully engaged yet!  The speed of stitching is very very easy to control.  So just a satisfied customer.  I had to buy mine online (from Texas) as there were no local dealers but it worked out just fine -- it got here in about two days and has a five year warranty from the dealer.  It came with several accessories -- two quilting feet and an even feed foot.  You can tell I really like this machine and sadly it will probably replace my Featherweight for piecing!  I am still pretty much overall a Bernina fan though and love my old mechanical 830 and my newer 170.

No comments: