Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Project Progress...

Well, I did finish two dresses for my 33 month old granddaughter!  I am hoping that they are not too bright.  I also ordered long sleeved tshirts to put underneath them so that they can be worn in the winter as well.  They do look a bit long for an almost three year old but she can grow into them!


This is dress number 2.  These were fun to make and ended up with entirely different fabric than what I had originally intended and packed!!  They are called scrap bag dresses as they take small amounts of a variety of fabrics.  I used three fat quarters of the flower print and one fat quarter for each of the other two ruffles.  The lining was also a fat quarter.


Okay, so now is decision time.  This is version 1 of Colin Deconstructed.  He starts whole in the upper left and then gets deconstructed.


This is version 2 where he is finished in the bottom right and gets deconstructed up to the upper left.  Aesthetically, I seem to favor this version and it will allow me to add two more blocks with color in them.  I think your eye automatically for almost everything starts in the upper left so it needs something to draw it away from that corner.  The full Colin is the focal point (and color will be if I add it) so it gives you motivation to move your eyes down and cover the whole thing.  Am I just imagining things or do you all agree?  


I am relatively pleased with how things turned out as I think  he is identifiable even in the one where there is only 5 pieces of fabric.  

3 comments:

Gail said...

The dresses are almost as cute as Colin!

Claire Welch said...

I like version 2 best, also. ... and love the dresses! No, they are not too bright, but at 33 months she will have an opinion, too.
Claire

Laura said...

I like the 2nd version of Colin too. Are the dresses made from a pattern or a book? I have a granddaughter who is only 3 months old but might be interested in making dresses like this next summer.