Friday, November 16, 2007

More Recipes

Well, I am taking several of my recipes down on our long trip ahead so thought I would post them as well so I will never forget them! I have most of my recipes stored on my old outdated computer which is upstairs and takes forever to load up!

Anyway, here is my sweet yeast bread recipe. I have substituted soy milk for real milk (for someone lactose intolerant) in this recipe and it was just fine.

Sweet Rolls

1/2 cup warm (NOT HOT) water and 2 pkgs yeast. Dissolve for 5 minutes
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening (melted and cooled down)
7 - 7/12 cups flour (bread flour is even better)

Mix all the above, adding the flour little by little. It should completely come away from the side of the bowl at the end. Knead for a bit and then place in a greased bowl and cover with a piece of plastic (you might spread some shortening on the top so it won't stick). Let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours. Punch down the mixture. There is enough to make about 3 dozen rolls. I split it into 3 bunches about the same and one I roll out flat as I can and spread on light layer of margarine or butter and sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture and then roll up. I then cut and make pinwheels. I also roll out, butter and cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips which I then stack and then place sideways into muffin pans -- you get these great pull apart rolls. I also roll the dough out into a big circle and cut into 12 sections, butter, and then roll up to make crousants.  Then let rise for another half an hour and then bake.There are a million variations here!

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until nicely browned on top.  I usually check after about 10 minutes to see how they are doing.Cool before storing.


Oatmeal Crisps (or Oatmeal cookies) Farm Journal Cookie Cookbook

2 cups butter (1 lb)
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs

3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

6 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups raisins

Combine first four ingredients and beat until fluffy. Mix together the next three and slowly add to the mixture. Slowly beat in the oats and then add in the raisins last. This makes a lot of cookies (14 dozen)!! This dough keeps nicely in a plastic container in the refrigerator so you can make a dozen at a time.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Cream together butter and sugar and then add eggs and beat. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Alternate adding in the flour mixture and the mashed bananas until all added. Stir in the walnuts. Spray or grease loaf pans (medium sized) and then flour. Pour in the batter which should come up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes. Test by inserting a straw which should come out reasonably clean.

I usually double this recipe and make four loaves.

No comments: