Sunday, May 17, 2009

An Okey Doaky Class!

Well, Saturday was spent in a paper piecing class with Carol Doak who is without a doubt the final word on paper piecing!! She has taught for many, many years and is a wealth of knowledge and techniques and approaches paper piecing like an industrial engineer! She can tell you how minutes you save by doing each individual step in a certain way and get perfect results besides! This is the wall hanging we were striving for.


Anyway, I took the class just for fun and to see if there were any cool tips she had and yes, there were! Of course, I didn't follow directions and Carol undid my mistake (which was a big one which I compounded). She was very patient and spent time with everyone in the class which is a big plus in my book!





I also chose to make up my own variation of her pattern which seemed to puzzle her but I like it! The piece is based on patterns from her last book called "Simply Sensational Nine Patch Stars" and is a very clever approach. Mine is the block above. I left out the diagonal stripes on the outside and used the same background in the stars as the border fabric.
Below I have the different versions done in the class. As usual, overachiever that I am, I am halfway done the rest of the blocks that make up the wall hanging!! The rest will get done this afternoon so the top should be done by tomorrow -- you can get a lot done when there is no husband around for awhile!







No comments: