Sunday, May 31, 2009

May Monthend Marbling

Well, now that the orange jacket is complete, it is time to move onto the much anticipated turquoise jacket! I have been saving blue and green fabrics for a long time in anticipation! Of course, it was important to set my sights on some marbled fabric as well. I played around with some different colorings and techniques -- some worked, some didn't but I switched to a new batch of goop too.


One thing I have discovered is that adding the GAC900 to my Golden paints really speeds them up a lot. Don't know whether this is because they are thinner or because they have a bit of surfactant in them. The GAC900 is supposed to make the paints into textile paints although the consultant from Golden that I heard at a lecture said you didn't need it. I do think it keeps them open a bit longer.
I haven't been using any of the reds so may have to go back to those soon as I am tiring of the palettes I have been using lately. I also think I should get a high stool as I have to stand now to do my marbling and I would probably take longer and do more controlled color if I was using the eye dropper instead of the whisks -- but it is sooo much fun to use the whisks!

Browns and yellows. I added a little of the black pigment from Pro Chem and the raw umber went immediately to black! A little goes a long way. I have been using my old pigments and they work great!




More turquoise with a little green and purple thrown in. Not very exciting as not enough value shifts.


A green with some turquoise on top -- also not very exciting!



I am going to try some more of these to get the streams of color.

This one I did just for fun using all sorts of colors with the brown and then swirling them with a piece of straw. More like traditional marbling but fun!

2 comments:

lizzieb said...

I have started using Golden's Open medium which is thin and works extremely well with their fluid paints. They have a new line of acrylics called "Open" and they dry much slower. A little bit of the Open Medium in with the paint allows me to silk screen without it drying on the screen, but for silk screening I use their jar paints.e

Unknown said...

Beth...Thank you So much for sharing your georgeous marbling swatches. The absolutely motivate me to get back to size, dyes and sighs!

I am unfamiliar with the compression technique you mention. Is sounds as if you are using a non-absorbant/alumed card or edge to swipe across? Am I simplifying it too much?

Would you mind emailing a hint or two? Also, I have a few others when it comes to your marbling experience. I am thinking of doing a few pillows, scarves and canvases...could use your experiences!

Thank you!

Matt Linville
matthew.linville@gmail.com